This is a delicious rabbit and tomato dish. Try it served on rice cooked in chicken stock, freshly ground pepper, salt and butter. Preparation time, 25 minutes; Cooking time, 1 ½ hours. Serves 4.
- 1 wild rabbit jointed (we will do this for you)
- 50 mL olive oil (3 tbsp)
- 225 g bacon, chopped fine
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 mL fresh ground pepper (1/4 tsp)
- 3 can diced tomatoes
- 60 mL tomato paste (1/4 cup)
- 1 mL crushed chili pepper (1/4 tsp)
- 2 mL dried oregano (1/2 tsp)
- 50 mL butter (4 tbsp)
- 125 mL fresh parsley, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- 2 mL salt (1/2 tsp)
- 125 mL dry red wine (1/2 cup)
- olive oil
Place olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and bay leaves to hot oil. Add onion and cook until a little past golden brown. Add garlic and pepper. Cook until the mixture is well browned.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili pepper, oregano, butter, parsley and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and let stand until rabbit is added.
Flour rabbit and gently brown in a separate pan in olive oil. When brown, add wine. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add rabbit and wine mixture to the other pan. Simmer for 40 minutes or until tender.