With spring coming and the weather slowly starting to warm up, do you need a recipe that the whole family will enjoy?
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1.5 kgs skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into large pieces
- 225 grams white button mushrooms, stemmed
- 2-3 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, pepper, garlic and oil. Measure out 1/4 cup marinade and place in a covered container in the refrigerator to use for grilling. Place the cubed chicken in a large ziploc bag and the vegetables in another ziploc bag. Pour half of the remaining marinade over the chicken and the other half over the vegetables. Seal the bags and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (can be refrigerated up to 24 hours).
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water 30 minutes prior to cooking. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers and alternate the veggies/fruit on separate skewers.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat and grill the skewers, flipping every couple of minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (about 7-10 minutes total, depending on the heat of your grill and size of the chicken pieces). The vegetable skewers only need a few minutes per side. Use the reserved marinade to brush over the chicken and veggies during the final minutes of cooking. Serve immediately.
Need to grab a few things? Why not shop online now – we can even deliver!
(Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, 2013)