- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tsp rosewater, or to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp each ground cinnamon and ground cumin
- 2 quail, halved lengthways
- To serve: organic rose petals, pomegranate seeds and coarsely chopped pistachios
- 35 gm quince paste, coarsely chopped
- 30 ml rosewater, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1: Pound garlic and a pinch of salt to a fine paste in a mortar and pestle. Add rosewater, lemon juice and spices and stir to combine. Place quail in a non-reactive bowl, pour over marinade, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to marinate (2 hours).
- 2: For rose and quince dressing, whisk quince paste and rosewater in a small bowl until dissolved. Whisk in garlic, cinnamon, olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste and set aside.
- 3; Preheat a char-grill or barbecue over high heat. Remove quail from marinade, cook skin-side down until golden and crisp (3-4 minutes), then turn and cook until just cooked through (1-2 minutes). Serve with rose and quince dressing, scattered with rose petals, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
(Gourmet Traveller, 2018)