A desert to share with your SPECIAL one, any time of year!
- 300ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 55g (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 25g (1/3 cup) flaked almonds, roasted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of cream of tartar
- 110g (½ cup) caster sugar
- Heat milk and vanilla bean seeds in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan over medium-low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- To make praline, line an oven tray with baking paper. Spread nuts on tray in a single layer. Stir sugar and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling and using a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan, until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Pour caramel over nuts on prepared tray. Cool until set, then break into pieces. Process until coarsely chopped.
- To make meringue, preheat oven to 140C. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites, salt and cream of tartar to stiff peaks, then gradually add sugar and whisk until thick and glossy. Scoop large spoonfuls of mixture and, using another large spoon, drop onto prepared tray, leaving 6cm between each. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Divide crème anglaise among four serving bowls. Top with meringue and decorate with praline to serve.
(My Kitchen Rules, 2013)