Garlic Butter Green Beans
- roasting tray
- small saucepan
- medium sized casserole dish
- oven tray
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF) bake function. Take the chicken out of the fridge and allow it to warm for 30 minutes at room temperature. While the chicken warms you can prepare it for roasting. Place the chicken in a roasting tray (if possible use a smaller roasting tray & don’t line the tray as you will want to use the tray juices later). Drizzle with olive oil and a few good grinds of salt and pepper. Rub the seasonings into the skin – don’t forget to season underneath the chicken. I don’t like soggy stuffing so I bake the stuffing as a side dish. Instead I place a handful of fresh thyme and a large lemon into the chicken cavity. Make sure you prick the lemon skin all over before placing it in the cavity.
- While the chicken finishes warming, you can start preparing your stuffing. Roughly shred the gluten free bread into small pieces and place a large bowl. In a small bowl melt the dairy free spread (olive oil spread or butter) in the microwave, and then mix it with the garlic infused oil. Drizzle it over the bread and toss until the bread is well coated. Spread the bread out onto a baking tray, place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, then turn/toss the bread, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the bread starts going golden brown. Then remove from the oven.
- Place the chicken in the oven on the middle rack or just slightly above. Every 30 minutes, baste the chicken using the pan juices. Cover with tinfoil once the skin has turned golden brown. The chicken will need to cook for about 1 hour 40 minutes, until the juices run clear.
- Finish preparing the stuffing. If you want your stuffing to be finer you can place it into a food processor and process until it’s your desired texture. I like my stuffing chunky and crunchy so I don’t always do this. Place the toasted bread in a medium sized casserole dish. Roughly chop the green leek tips and fresh parsley. Place the leek tips, fresh parsley, dried herbs (sage, oregano, thyme), salt and pepper in the dish and mix well. Place to one side.
- Prepare the roast vegetables. Peel and cut the potato and sweet potato (or pumpkin) into small chunks. Place in a large roasting tray. Drizzle in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Place in the oven about 50 minutes after the chicken. Turn the roast vegetables after 25 minutes of cooking. Cook until golden and tender (this should take about 45 to 55 minutes).
- Prepare the carrots by cutting into small sticks. Place in a microwave proof bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of water and cover with a plate. You will cook these in the microwave as you make the gravy.
- Prepare the green beans by removing the tips. Place to one side.
- When you remove the chicken, you need to place the stuffing into the oven. Before baking the stuffing, pour the hot chicken stock evenly over the stuffing – you want the stuffing moist but not soggy (you can add more stock if needed). Place in the oven and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring half way through. If the top won’t go crunchy grill it under the oven grill on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven, transfer it to a carving board, and wrap in tinfoil. Allow to rest while you make the gravy, green beans, and carrots.
- To make the gravy place the roasting tray over the stove element over medium low heat. Add one cup of hot chicken stock and stir until the pan juices dissolve. In a small cup, place the cornflour with 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of warm water. Mix until the corn starch dissolves. Add the corn starch mixture to the gravy and mix well. Continue to stir occasionally until the gravy thickens (this should take 2 to 3 minutes). If the gravy won’t thicken dissolve some more corn starch and add it to the pan. Season with salt & pepper as needed. Transfer to a gravy boat or cup for serving.
- While the gravy cooks, blanch the green beans in a small saucepan of boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are bright green and tender. Drain and mix through the dairy frre spread (butter) and garlic infused oil.
- Cook the carrots in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes on high until tender. Then drain.
- Carve the roast chicken. Serve with the roast veggies, garlic butter green beans, carrots, crunchy bread stuffing, and homemade gravy.